Hi, I’m Sarah! I created Happy + Healthy Taste Buds specifically for the busy homeschool mom who:
- Loves making easy & tasty but HEALTHY food for herself and her family
- Enjoys food for thought (rather than “fluff”) when she takes time to read
- Loves God & His Word
- Desires for her children to know God, understand His Word, & grow in His ways
- Is intentional about helping her children learn in effective & hands-on ways
Does that sound like you?! If it does, then let me give you a warm hug, because I am SO GLAD you stopped here at H+H! 😀 Here’s a sampling of what you’ll find around here:
- Yummy recipes of all kinds. Some are fast & easy weeknight supper recipes. Some are quick snacks you can whip together to satisfy your sweet tooth without sacrificing your health. Some are intentionally simple so that your daughters can cook them with you–or make the recipes by themselves! Most are grain-free and naturally sweetened. Many comply with Trim Healthy Mama/Paleo/Whole30 standards. And ALL of them are healthy!
- Food for thought. I believe that health isn’t just about food and/or workouts; I think it encompasses the whole person. So along with my recipes, you’ll find encouraging and challenging thoughts from Scripture, quotes from historical Christians, short devotionals, Bible study tips, and other useful things to think on as you’re cooking. 😉
- Resources for teaching your children. My goal is not just to help you, but to help you help your children. So here at H+H, you’ll also find ideas for how to share the Word of God with your kiddoes, too!
If you’re nodding and mumbling that this is just what you’ve been needing, then subscribe to H+H! That way 1) we can be friends who stay in touch, and 2) you guarantee that you will be notified of all the good stuff that goes up here on H+H. Don’t miss out; do it now! 😉
Who Am I?
If you’re wondering whether I know what on earth I’m talking about here, let me set your mind at ease with a few quick numbers:
- I’ve worked with kids for over 15 years!
- I was a camp counselor for 10+ years
- I served as activities director for 3rd graders through 8th graders for over 5 years
- I have over 10 years of experience as a kids’ club leader, Vacation Bible School organizer, and Sunday school teacher
- For the last three years, I’ve worked as a Montessori teacher with a variety of ages
- I got my Bachelor’s degree in Intercultural Studies & Bible (double major), plus a certification in Biblical Studies from another school
- I’m also a certified English teacher and a certified Montessori teacher
- I was homeschooled for most of my growing up years (and loved it!!)
Those are the cold, hard facts about me. If you want to know more of the interesting & crazy stuff about me, be sure to scroll to the bottom of this page! 😉
FREE BIBLE LESSON SERIES
The Making of H+H
I started Happy + Healthy Taste Buds in January 2016, several years after graduating with a Bachelor’s in Bible and twenty new pounds around my middle. In my quest to get rid of that extra weight, I started working out for the first time in my life. Working out quickly led to a fast-track education in fueling my body better, which led to experimenting with my eating habits, which led to a new-found freedom in the kitchen.
I had never enjoyed cooking before. But as I started to try new ingredients and different flavor combinations, I discovered an absolute joy in developing new, healthy recipes.
And as I scoured the Internet for “grain-free this” and “sugar-free that,” I also found this wonderful online world full of delectable ingredients and gorgeous photography–the world of food blogs!
I was hooked.
And it was only natural for me to set up a site of my own to share my latest healthy concoction. Thus, Happy + Healthy Taste Buds was born.
But, as much as I loved my food blogs, there was something missing in that world.
I loved the photography. I loved the recipes. I enjoyed the little tidbits that others posted–the occasional personal thought, or commentary on pop culture, or cute stories about a child or a pet. I even tried (for a while) to achieve that same tone on my blog. But I couldn’t help feeling that if I was going to ask people to spend their valuable time on my words, then I should have something worthwhile to say.
What’s more, I knew I had something worthwhile to say. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more reasonable it seemed that I should write on my blog about the most important thing in the whole world–Jesus Christ, my Savior & Lord.
My life revolves around Him. My values, my commitments, my interests… they are all swayed by that most important thing.
How could I NOT share that with my readers?
So I started to write about God’s Word & the Christian life–just a few paragraphs before every recipe.
While I was glad to be sharing meaningful thoughts along with my recipes, I wanted to also provide practical help to my readers. I pictured the women I wanted to help: busy homeschool moms who were trying to teach their children & guide them spiritually–plus keep on top of their own spiritual life, cook & eat healthier, and somehow find time to exercise. And maybe sleep.
And if these sweet ladies’ homes were anything like mine, there probably wasn’t time to do it all.
But what if those things could be combined? What if I could benefit mama spiritually and help her to live & eat healthy, plus provide her with resources to teach her children both about health & God’s Word–even as they worked together in the kitchen?
That was the last piece of the blogging puzzle for me.
I love teaching God’s Word to kids as practically, personally, and “hands-on” as possible. I’ve spent years of my life working as a counselor at summer Bible camp, organizing activities for camps and VBS, teaching Bible stories at after-school kids clubs, leading a young girls’ Bible study group, and serving as a leader in all kinds of kids’ ministries.
I love kids, and I love teaching God’s Word to kids.
And now I can see how that can fit with my other loves, too–all together here on Happy + Healthy Taste Buds.
- A love of God
- A love of God’s Word
- A love of kids
- A love of teaching
- An interest in health, nutrition, fitness, & cooking
These are the things that characterize me. And, as a result, these are the things that characterize Happy + Healthy Taste Buds.
If these are things that are important to you too, then you are just the kind of person that I want to connect with! I hope you’ll stick around and be a part of the H+H community. 🙂
Start by checking out these popular posts:
- A HEALTHY RECIPE: Coconut Pumpkin Spiced Protein Shake
- FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Take Care of the Practical First
- TEACHING RESOURCES: How to Prepare for Bible Teaching
And please, if you still haven’t subscribed yet, be sure to do that so we can keep in touch!
A Little Bit More…
What? You’re still hanging around here hoping to know a little more about me? Well, I’d love it if you’d ask any get-to-know-you questions you have for me in the comments! 🙂 And in the meantime, I’ll leave you with a list of 17 random facts about me. Enjoy!
- I’m a proud homeschool graduate!
- I love chocolate. And sweet potatoes. Not necessarily together–though I have done that too!
- A few years ago, I spent 3 months in Peru learning Spanish, working at an orphanage, and teaching a class of 3-year-olds.
- I’ve played Ultimate Frisbee in the snow when it was 40 degrees below zero.
- I think Romans 3:21-22 are the most amazing verses in the Bible. It is just so huge and so wonderful that, when we were in such a helpless position, God offered His own perfect righteousness to anyone who believes in Him!
- I used to hate cooking.
- I’ve eaten cow brain tacos, stingray omelets, and crunchy chile-flavored crickets. Of those, I’d say that the cow brain tacos were the tastiest. 😉
- My favorite phone app right now is “Scripture Typer.” It allows me to learn & practice my memory verses by tapping just the first letter of each word. And it automatically schedules when I should review each verse, then reminds me. SO helpful!
- I play the guitar and the piano–and I had a short stint when I experimented with the ukulele, the mandolin, the banjo, and the violin. That being said, I excel at exactly none of these instruments. But I do love music. 😉
- I have certifications in Microsoft Office, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Montessori, & Biblical Studies.
- I LOVE Mexican food. Tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, chile/lime/cilantro anything–I love it all.
- I’ve read through the Bible in a year before, but I usually end up moving much, much, much more slowly than that.
- I’ve done two Whole30s now. The first one was easier.
- One of my all-time favorite books is Ten P’s in a Pod. I’m always entertained yet also super encouraged every time I read it.
- I’ve gone rappelling in the dark.
- The last song I learned was “Do Right.” Here’s a super cute version sung by the Bontrager kiddoes.
- My personal favorite post on H+H (so far) is this one. Check it out!
Well, there you have it! Thanks so much for visiting. I look forward to getting to know you better, too. Keep in touch! 🙂